Welcome Friends to Believe Achieve

We'd Love For You to Get to Know Us!
Read Our Personal Believe Achieve Story:

Miracle of Life - How We Came To Be Believe Achieve Hugo and Roxanne

January 28, 2009

The Compassionate Decision - The Traveler's Gift 6


The Traveler's Gift
by Andy Andrews


Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success 6

© 2002 Andy Andrews



THE COMPASSIONATE DECISION


I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

For too long, every ounce of forgiveness I owned was locked away,
hidden from view, waiting for me to bestow its precious presence
upon some worthy person. Alas, I found most people to be
singularly unworthy of my valuable forgiveness and,
since they never asked for any, I kept it all for myself.

Now, the forgiveness that I hoarded has sprouted inside
my heart like a crippled seed yielding bitter fruit.
No more! At this moment, my life has taken on new hope
and assurance. Of all the world’s population, I am one of the few
possessors of the secret to dissipating anger and resentment.

I now understand that forgiveness only has value when
it is given away. By the simple act of granting forgiveness,
I release the demons of the past about which I can do nothing
and create in myself a new heart, a new beginning.

I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

I will forgive even those who do not ask for forgiveness.
Many are the times when I have seethed in anger at a word
or deed thrown into my life by an unthinking or uncaring person.
Valuable hours have been wasted imagining revenge or confrontation.

Now I see the truth revealed about this psychological rock
inside my shoe. The rage I nurture is often one-sided, for my offender
seldom gives thought to his offense! I will now and forevermore
silently offer my forgiveness even to those who do not see
that they need it. By the act of forgiving, I am no longer consumed
by unproductive thoughts. My bitterness is given up.
I am contented in my soul and effective again with my fellow man.

I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

I will forgive those who criticize me unjustly.
Knowing that slavery, in any form, is wrong, I also know
that the person who lives a life according to the opinion
of others is a slave. I am not a slave. I have chosen my own counsel.
I know the difference between right and wrong. I know what is
best for the future of my family, and neither misguided opinion
nor unjust criticism will alter my course.

Those who are critical of my goals and dreams simply do not
understand the higher purpose to which I have been called.
Therefore, their scorn does not affect my attitude or action.
I forgive their lack of vision and forge ahead. I now know
that criticism is part of the price paid for leaping past mediocrity.

I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.
I will forgive myself.

For many years, my greatest enemy has been myself.
Every mistake, every miscalculation, every stumble I made
has been replayed over and over in my mind. Every broken promise,
every day wasted, every goal not reached has compounded
the disgust I feel for the lack of achievement in my life.

My dismay has developed a paralyzing grip. When I disappoint
myself, I respond with inaction and become more disappointed.
I realize today that it is impossible to fight an enemy living
in my head. By forgiving myself, I erase the doubts, fears,
and frustration that have kept my past in the present.

From this day forward, my history will cease to control my destiny.
I have forgiven myself. My life has just begun.

I will forgive even those who do not ask for forgiveness.
I will forgive those who criticize me unjustly. I will forgive myself.

I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.



Further reading:

The Traveler's Gift 1 - The Responsible Decision
The Traveler's Gift 2 - The Guided Decision
The Traveler's Gift 5 - The Compassionate Decision

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

  1. "I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit."

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about having compassion in this manner. It really opened my eyes about what that really means.
    I appreciate you posting this. It was enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read all of these in order, and now I have a completely different outlook on my life. "The buck stops here..." "I am a person of action"..."I can forgive."

    I'll be printing them all to as a reminder of how my life should be.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hugo & Roxanne .. they are an amazing set .. I too will follow Joy's example & print them out for daily reference .. we all need our daily memory jogs .. until the habit of each decision has settled in & become part of our standard thinking.

    I have forgiven myself. My life has just begun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Laura, Thats the spirit Laura. Greet each and everyday with forgiveness.

    @Mic, We're happy to hear you enjoyed reading our post. We look forward to having you visit again.

    @Joy, It's so wonderful to know this has taught you to have a different outlook on life. You're a person of ACTION!

    @Hilary, This truly is food for the mind. Glad you enjoyed.

    Many Blessings....
    Hugo and Roxanne
    ~Believe Achieve~

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin